Benefits and Responsibilities of Membership
Thank you for your interest in the Fibre Art Network. We welcome people who are fibre artists living in western Canada.
FAN is an organization that supports and encourages like-minded enthusiasts, from emerging artists to professionals.
FAN membership is limited to persons living in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Yukon, and the North West Territories.
FAN membership benefits and privileges:
- receive the monthly newsletter
- access to the Members Only area of the FAN website
- opportunitiy to have an Artist Gallery page on the FAN website
- access to the FAN Google Groups discussion group
- opportunities to submit work for exhibiting in FAN juried exhibitions
- inclusion in non-juried FAN exhibitions
- inclusion of your artwork from FAN exhibitions in FAN website exhibits
- attending the annual fall retreat
- voting at the annual general meeting
- Please note that the FAN membership year is based on the calendar year (January to December)
Responsibilities of membership:
- The Fibre Art Network encourages volunteerism. Each member is encouraged to take a turn and volunteer for a task.
- Opportunities to volunteer include
- working on local exhibition and retreat committees
- writing articles or features for the newsletter
- editing an issue of the newsletter
- becoming a Volunteer Coordinator
- taking on a specific short-term task
- being on a sub-committee
- researching a specific topic
- formulating guidelines
- Each member is encouraged to have an Artist Gallery page on the FAN website, and to periodically update the page to show new artwork. New members are offered a free "starter" listing. More information is available in the Members Only section of the website.
- Annual dues must be paid by January 1st or membership is revoked until paid.
How to join the Fibre Art Network:
A. Fill out application form
Click here for printable mail-in form
Click here for web form to submit and pay online
B. Write cheque for $50. annual membership fee, payable to The Fibre Art Network, and mail to Membership Coordinator, Valerie Wilson. If you are joining after June 30th, there is a one time opportunity to pay half of the membership fee ($25):
438 Inglewood St,
Winnipeg, MB R3J 1X2
Online payment of membership fees is available when submitting the online application form, and for renewals.
C. Please also send the Membership Coordinator two photos of your work, and a short biography--a couple of paragraphs--whatever you want to share about yourself with other members.
- These items can be mailed in the same envelope as the cheque and application form.
- Or, you can email your bio and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org .Please also include your name and title(s) of artwork.
- if you are sending digital images, please format them as jpg at 72 dpi measuring 4”x 6”.
- The biography and images will be published in an upcoming newsletter as a way of introducing you to the membership.
When your cheque clears, you will be sent a receipt, a membership list, a password for accessing the Members’ Only section of the FAN website, and information on how to join the FAN's Google Groups discussion group. Membership cards are not issued; your receipt is proof of membership.
- Exhibitions have been held in art galleries throughout western Canada, as well as in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario and in Washington state. Exhibitions are usually organized by local members, with the help of the FAN Exhibition Coordinator to ensure consistency and support.
- The fall retreat is an opportunity to meet and learn about each other and our work. The location varies from year to year, with a local retreat committee making the arrangements. Retreats are memorable and fun. The Annual General Meeting is held during the retreat.
- Volunteer positions are generally filled before or during the fall AGM.
- Volunteer positions and opportunities include:
- FAN Co-ordinator
- Newsletter Co-ordinator and contributors
- Newsletter Editors (a different person each month)
- Call for entries
- Member Accolades
- Membership Co-ordinator
- Motions Co-ordinator
- Google Group Co-ordinator
- Website Co-ordinator and committee
- Retreat Co-ordinator and committee
- Exhibitions Co-ordinator and committee